News Culture Comment Video

Feature

Auckland’s Echo Festival has been cancelled

Thursday 26th November 2015

Jamie xx was scheduled to perform as part of Echo Festival in January.

Photo: AFP

Echo Festival won’t be going ahead next year due to "slow ticket sales", says the organiser of the event.

The event would’ve seen over 30 acts perform, including The Flaming Lips, Jamie xx, Disclosure, Kurt Vile and more. It was scheduled to take place at Auckland’s Vector Arena on Monday January 11 and Tuesday January 12 across two indoor stages and one outdoor stage.

Its demise comes a month after promoters confirmed that the festival – formerly named McLaren Valley Festival - would be moving to Auckland after organisers failed to secure resource consent at McLaren Falls Park in the Bay of Plenty.

However, festival director Paxton Talbot said in a statement today that it wouldn’t be practical to go ahead with the event.

“Despite this world class line-up of artists, and a strong promotional campaign and apparent public support, the event simply hasn't had sufficient ticket sales to date to make the festival viable, we have today made the hugely difficult decision to cancel the event,” he said.

“It would not be fair on the bands, the suppliers or the audience if we were to continue pursuing the project.”

Last month, it was also announced that SoulFest wouldn’t be going ahead due to a lack of ticket sales.

Lauryn Hill, Mary J Blige, Miguel and Jill Scott were amongst the names on the line-up that were set to head our way, but promoters said in a statement that the financial loss would be devastating if they were to go ahead with the event.

Full refunds will be offered to all Echo Festival ticketholders. More info is available from their official site.



Join the discussion »

Login to post a comment

Login or Signup


Comment

In accordance with our Comments Policy, all comments are moderated before they appear on the site. This happens 7am to 7pm each weekday.